Friday, 11 July 2014

RECOMMEND TO ME - War Horse

Looking at film and television.  Here is some stuff recommended to me.


I asked on Google+Tumblr and Twitter for people to recommend films.  I thought I would share the results here.  (See the Full List).

War Horse (2011) was recommended by +Chris Anderson.

It reminds me of the films of my youth, such as the Australian films Gallipoli and The Man From Snowy River and pushes all the same buttons.  Not the type of film I've watched for a very long time and I wasn't really sure they still made them (although assumed they did.)

This senses of nostalgia and distance made it an OK film that I may have previously thought myself too old and cynical to enjoy.  It does, I think fall apart in the middle by trying to introduce too many stories - sure that is the point - but it feels rushed and forced and unlike the first where you see the bond between the boy and his horse the middle stories don't work as well.  Still the touching if better sweet ending pulls it all back together and creates a satisfying whole.

Return Recommendation:  This is a hard one.  I've mentioned Man From Snowy River and Gallipoli.  The Lighthorsemen does combine horses and WWI, but really does feel like an attempt to cash in on both of the above films.  I missed my chance to see Joyeux Noel so I can't recommend it, even though it is based around the same idea as Chris's favourite scene.  I'm going to go in a different direction.  Different war, different feel, no bittersweet ending and much less focus on horses.  Breaker Morant (1980).
~ DUG.
Remember to do the Competing Film Showdown Poll #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment