Friday, 19 September 2014

FILM IN TOWNSVILLE - The Princess Bride

Looking at film locally.

The Princess Bride (1986) played at Event Cinemas on Monday 15th September 2014.



It's always weird to see a film again on the big screen decades after you first did.  Especially if you've seen it many times since and own it on DVD (or video, etc).

Full disclosure:  The Princess Bride is my favourite film.  It's not the best film ever, but it's the one I like the most.  There's just something magical about it.

Let's get the things from the first Film In Townsville (Labyrinth) out of the way.  No crush on the heroine this time.  I don't know if I ever had one on her in this film.  I know I didn't like her in Forrest Gump, but that she's really grown into her face in House of Cards.  Perhaps it's because there's more behind the face known.  Princess Buttercup mostly has a blank stare, it's only in her moment of anger or defiance that she shows some character on her face.  This film also has no David Bowie in tights.  Less prominent moments of Wallace Shawn and  Andre the Giant are all we get.

Other actors run hot and cold too.  Some are great the whole time, some just get by and some vary extraordinarily.  Flaws in the set and directing are even more obvious on the big screen... but the beauty of the film is truly in William Goldman's writing.  The plot is simple but the dialogue, the humour and pacing it superb and make it the cult favourite that it is.


Upcoming Films in Townsville:


~ DUG.
Remember to do the Competing Film Showdown Poll to pick the next Showdown Reviewed.
Check out the Schedule for upcoming film reviews.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I refused to see this film because I loathed the book. People kept telling me how great this movie is but it took me about ten years before I finally (and begrudgingly) watched it. I fell in love. One of the rare times the movie is truly better than the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book's great but the movie is magical.

      Delete
  2. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete